Saturday, October 23, 2010

Simbi

I teach to children and I am always intrigued by how children act and think. I love to observe them and trying to understand their world.

We all seeing children dragging around their teddy bears, some of them have left only a single button eye, or they have dog-chewed ears, some have stuffing spilling out.
These teddies are the children’s friendly companions. Children entrust their pals with their secrets, their dreams and their pains. These pals would never betray or disappoint the children. They are the only ones that really get them.
Each child has one. We all had one. I still have mine: Simbi.

                             Simbi on the Camino of Santiago, Spain 2007

I am sure that every child deep inside knows very well that Little Teddy is not alive, but no child will admit it. And if you dare to put in question its ability to be alive they will look at you with that expression: “Are you crazy?!?!…
I learned fast in my early days of teaching to never question their ability to be alive, because if you do children will look at you thinking and telling you, sometime screaming at you, that you are just crazy
I always allow a child to bring in class their inseparable friend when they show up for class holding them in their arms. Actually I learned to treat them as part of my flock: I talk to them, I hold them, and I ask questions to the children about them.

Children love the fact I have one of my own. They know everything about my little friend: Simbi. They refer to him as one of us. And I truly believe that Simbi has helped me in many occasions. A child will more likely think that I am part of his tribe, because of Simbi. Simbi has become on many occasion my ambassador to them. He is definitive my lucky charm.

                             and he has is own shadow - Madagascar 2008

I found very funny that many adults think I am crazy, some adult think that I show a vulnerable side of myself by admitting that I have a little lion sleeping on the side of my bed and that I carry him everywhere I go. I found it funny because if you think well what are all those items? Lucky charms, lucky bracelets, favorite sweaters, crosses, pictures of this or that, images of Saints or Mary that we all carry around? Aren’t they a reflect, a habit, a ‘left-over’ of our forgotten teddy bears?

So yes, I have a little lion walking along me.
And the funny thing is that when I walk and carry him in the side pocket of the backpack with his head sticking out watching where we go, if I meet anybody they often ask me about Simbi and more than once have asked me to take a picture… no not with me with… him!
And often I am thinking am I his… sherpa?

Dr. Jung would analyze this story by saying: Simbi is the little child left in yourself… And I am fine with it. Actually not… I am happy with it. Really!

                  Simbi and Orsetto - Fallowing Saint Francis's Footprints, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment